Princess Diana Facts
The 50 Most Fascinating Facts About Princess Diana's Life
- She lost one of her siblings. Diana's older brother, John Spencer, died 10 hours after his birth in January 1960.
- She didn't have a name for a week. Diana was the fourth child and third daughter of John Spencer, Viscount Althorp, and Frances Roche. Because they had lost their first son, the Spencers were desperately hoping for a boy to carry on the family name. After Diana was born in July 1961, no name was chosen for seven days until they settled on Diana Frances, after both her mother and a distant relative named Diana Russell, Duchess of Bedford.
- She was 7 years old when her parents divorced. Diana's mother left her father for another man, and Diana lived with Frances in London during their separation in 1967, but her father later won custody.
- She lived in a home owned by her future mother-in-law. Before moving to the Althorp estate, Diana and her family lived at Park House, situated on the Sandringham estate. The Spencers leased the home from Queen Elizabeth II, who spends Christmas there every year with the rest of the royal family.
- She worked a number of low-paying jobs. After completing her formal education, Diana worked as a youth dance instructor, a preschool assistant, and as a hostess at parties. She also did some cleaning for her older sister, Sarah.