Skip Nav

Third-Degree Burns From Slime

Warning: This Popular Slime Recipe Could Give Your Kid Third-Degree Burns

A Massachusetts girl is recovering from severe burns after a DIY slime recipe gone wrong sent her to the hospital.

The slime craze has taken off among teens and tweens, but after the 11-year-old made a batch while at a sleepover, she was left in excruciating pain. According to Kathleen's mom, Siobhan, the child woke up in severe discomfort, and by the time she returned home, she was in tears from the pain. "She was like crying in pain, 'My hands hurt, my hands hurt,'" Siobhan told CBS Philly. "And we looked at them and they were covered in blisters."

Kathleen was taken to the hospital where doctors examined the blisters covering both hands. She was diagnosed with second- and third-degree burns. The three main ingredients in the homemade concoction were Elmer's glue, water, and Borax. "It felt, like, really hot and tingly," Kathleen told KTRE.

Borax is a sodium borate and doctors believe that Kathleen's burns came from "extended exposure" to this compound. The child's parents want others to realize that despite the popularity of homemade slime, it can be dangerous. They are warning that Kathleen has made slime multiple times without any issues and that parents need to be aware of the potential danger when their kids are using Borax. "I've had other mothers say, 'Oh, we've made it a million times. It's fine. Nothing happened to my child.' We made it a million times, too," she said.

Latest Family
All the Latest From Ryan Reynolds