My Body! What I Say Goes!
Book's Description: "The crucial skills taught in this book will help children to protect their bodies from inappropriate touch. Children will be empowered to say in a strong and clear voice, 'This is my body! What I say goes!' Through age-appropriate illustrations and engaging text this book . . . will teach children the following crucial and empowering skills in personal body safety:
- identifying safe and unsafe feelings
- recognizing early warning signs
- developing a safety network
- using the correct names for private parts
- understanding the difference safe and unsafe touch
- understanding the difference between secrets and surprises
- respecting body boundaries.
Approximately 20% of girls, and 8% of boys will experience sexual abuse before their 18th birthday (Pereda, et al, 2009). Parents, caregivers, and educators have a duty of care to protect children by teaching them Body Safety skills. These skills empower children, and go a long way in keeping them safe from abuse - ensuring they grow up as assertive and confident teenagers and adults. Also included in this book are in-depth Discussion Questions to further enhance the learning and to initiate important family conversations around body autonomy."
Ages it's best suited for: 3-10
Buy it here: My Body! What I Say Goes! by Jayneen Sanders ($12)