Calvin Klein's Fall Collection Was Full of Animal Prints, Leather, and Plaid — Oh, My!
As we watched each look parade down Calvin Klein's Fall '16 runway, we almost couldn't believe our eyes. Sleek, boyish blazers and pooling trousers with distressed hems were finished with thick leather belt buckles and harness straps. But the collection only escalated into edgier territory. Designer Francisco Costa's body-hugging satin slip dresses were still offered, but complete with surprising add-ons: a furry collar here, a '90s-esque choker with a playful charm there.
Then Costa took an unexpected turn to prints. He contrasted plaid with gingham, cinching his pieces at the waist with ribbon-like sashes. Even luxe furry jackets got strapped in. But the standout detail? Slashed leather panels that swished back and forth on statement coats and knee-length numbers as the models walked — almost like flaps at a car wash. The line was rounded out with blown-up animal-print dresses that felt sexy and natural, despite their rugged finish. Most of them had oval cutouts, centering on single gemstones or slices of petrified wood. How's that for fresh?
- Trends: Leather panels, edgy buckles and belts, blown-up animal prints, and plenty of plaid
- Colors: Colors found in nature, like tawny brown, a deep blue-gray, and textured taupe
- Key Look: An edgy, strappy dress that was textured and embellished with sparkling gemstones — we could easily picture it on either Zoë Kravitz, Margot Robbie, or Kendall Jenner, who both sat front row.
- Shoes: Functional, flat leather loafers and a few ankle-strap lucite pumps reserved for fancier looks
- Other Accessories: Leather bags with metal hardware and furry straps and stone-adorned choker necklaces
- Who Would Wear It: The girl who loves texture and is a little bit edgy and carefree