If you don't have a juicer, freshly pressed pineapple juice can be bought at many juice bars. You can also use canned.
- For the spiced pineapple syrup:
2 cups water
1/4 cup black pepper
2 cups granulated sugar
3 vanilla beans
3 star anise pods
2 cups pineapple juice, freshly pressed
- For the piña colada:
2 ounces white rum, such as Banks 5 Island Rum
3/4 ounces freshly squeezed lime juice
1 1/2 ounces coconut cream
1 ounce pineapple juice, freshly pressed
1/4 ounces spiced pineapple syrup
1 pineapple leaf
2 Luxardo maraschino cherries
Nutmeg, freshly grated
- Make the spiced pineapple syrup: In a sauce pot on medium heat, simmer 1/2 a cup of water with black pepper. Once it's simmering, add the rest of the water, sugar, vanilla beans, and star anise, and bring to a boil. Boil until sugar is melted, and then let cool. Once cooled, add fresh pineapple juice.
- Make the cocktail: Combine all of the ingredients in a shaker and dry-shake.
- Pour into a tall glass filled with crushed ice. Swizzle to chill and then top with more crushed ice.
- Garnish with a pineapple leaf, cherries, and freshly grated nutmeg.
- Drinks, Cocktails
- North American
- 1 cocktail