Have a little fun with your food before you eat it with these animal cookie masks! Let your imagination run wild with different animal cookie shapes and frosting colors. You can make a batch for your next party or be the standout at your next masquerade ball. When the fun is over, you get a delicious snack! What could be better? For more animal cookie recipes, you have to try our animal cookie cheesecake.
Masks will keep for up to 6 days covered in an airtight container.
Butter cookie dough can be kept in the freezer for up to 1 month. To bake, defrost and bake as directed in the instructions.
- For the cookie:
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- For the decorations:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- Pink food coloring
- Rainbow nonpareils sprinkles
- To make the cookies: Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Using a hand or stand mixer, cream together the butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla until pale yellow and fluffy. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt and mix to combine.
- Bring the butter cookie dough together into a smooth ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Allow to chill in the fridge for 15-30 minutes to ensure the dough rolls out easily. After the dough has chilled, unwrap and divide into 4 equal parts.
- Lightly flour your surface. Using a rolling pin, roll out the butter cookie dough until it's about 1/4" thick and about 8"x8" across.
- Place your animal template on top of your dough and gently press down to make sure your template is stuck to your dough. Using a butter knife, carefully cut out your animal mask, then remove your template.
- Place popsicle stick or lollipop stick in the center of your cookie mask and gently press, assuring the stick is about halfway through the cookie. Let cookie firm up in the fridge for an additional 15 minutes.
- Gently transfer your cookie to a cookie sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes until lightly browned and crisp.
- To make the icing: Combine powdered sugar and milk, the set aside.
- To assemble: Once your cookie is done, remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Pour the royal icing over your cookie, allowing the icing to spread to the edges. Sprinkle with nonpareils and allow to set for about 30 minutes before enjoying!
- Desserts, Cookies
- 4 masks
- Cook Time
- 1 hour