Have you seen black ice cream all over your news feeds? In case you're wondering what this latest frosty treat is all about, we have you covered with an easy, no-churn version that's creamy, sweet, and most importantly, delicious. The secret's in the activated charcoal.
Brandi's wearing Rebecca Taylor
- 1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup food-grade activated charcoal
1 cup sour cream
14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon curd
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Edible gold leaf, optional
Waffle cones, optional
- In a large chilled metal bowl, using a hand mixer on high speed, whip the heavy cream and about 1/3 of the charcoal powder until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together sour cream, condensed milk, lemon zest and juice, curd, vanilla extract, and remaining charcoal powder until no lumps can be seen.
- Gently fold the sour cream mixture into the whipped cream until just combined. Transfer the mixture to a metal or glass loaf pan, cover the top with plastic wrap to prevent ice crystals from forming, and freeze for at least 12 hours or overnight until firm.
- Optional: Paint the rim of the waffle cone with edible gold.
- Scoop ice cream into bowls or waffle cones and enjoy.
- Desserts, Ice cream
- Serves 10 to 12
- Total Time
- 11 hours, 59 minutes, 59 seconds