As thermometers hit record-breaking lows, cravings for comfort food shoot through the roof, because cream, butter, and steamy soups make those bone-chilling days and nights more bearable. However, there's a major difference between serving yourself a ladle of creamy soup vs. a thick, dip-like substance, loaded with cream and Velveeta. I developed this broccoli soup to have the consistency of soup but with a velvety body due to the addition of a Greek yogurt béchamel.
This soup is also a great way to sneak in something green. Ever experienced the extraordinary combination of cheese melted atop broccoli florets? The same pleasure applies to this soup. The savory soup and salty cheddar enhance the broccoli's flavor and minimize any off-putting cruciferousness. The best part is, this soup isn't a simmer-for-hours type of recipe. Dinner can be served in 30 minutes tops. To satiate any carb-y hankerings, dunk pieces of a crusty baguette or Lesley Stowe's Raincoast Crisps, as pictured, in the soup.
Without further ado, here's the recipe to fuel you on cold, Winter nights and make your house come alive with warming, garlicky aromas:
- 2 tablespoons salted butter, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 heaping cups broccoli, florets and stems
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or 2 teaspoons Better Than Bouillon Organic Vegetable Base and 2 cups hot water)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 cup full-fat, plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, like Cabot Clothbound Cheddar
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add the garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until the garlic is fragrant. Stir in the broccoli until it is coated in butter. Salt liberally (about 1/4 teaspoon). Reduce heat to low, cover, and steam until the broccoli turns bright green, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add vegetable broth and cover.
- Meanwhile, in a small, nonstick sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon butter until melted. Whisk in the flour until fully incorporated and cook until the flour turns golden, a few minutes. Whisk in the Greek yogurt followed by the warm water. Whisk until a thick, clump-free sauce forms. Add the cheddar cheese and whisk until the cheese melts. Turn off the heat.
- Blend the broccoli soup with an immersion blender or carefully transfer the soup to a standup blender. Blend it until it's mostly smooth, leaving a few stems and broccoli pieces intact. Whisk in the creamy cheese sauce. Salt and pepper to taste if necessary. Serve immediately.
- Soups/Stews, Cream
- North American
- Serves 4
- Cook Time
- 30 minutes