When it comes to weeknight dinners, I'm an unabashed soup fan. Sure, it might take slightly longer to simmer up than a pot of pasta, but by and large it's a hands-off affair, and few foods soothe the soul better after a hectic day.
Smooth, creamy (without being heavy), and subtly sweet, this iteration will be entering my rotation throughout the Fall and Winter months, and I encourage you to do the same.
Like many pureed soups, this seasonal soup gets even better with age, and is therefore an excellent candidate for leftovers — I've been brown-bagging mine in a thermos for a revelatory office lunch.
Don't have sherry vinegar on hand? Apple cider vinegar is a good substitute.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large leek, thinly sliced and cleaned (about 1 cup)
1 3- to 4-pound butternut squash, peeled and roughly cubed
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Kosher salt, to taste
3 tablespoons dry sherry, plus more to finish
2 to 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons heavy cream, plus more for garnish
Sherry vinegar, to finish
- Melt the butter in a medium stockpot or dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add the leeks and sweat, stirring occasionally, until softened but not yet browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the butternut squash, nutmeg, pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, for another 5 minutes.
- Add the sherry to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until reduced slightly, then add enough stock to just cover the vegetables. If 3 cups isn't sufficient, make up the difference with water.
- Turn the heat up to high and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to keep it at a bare simmer, and simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes, or until the squash is fork-tender.
- Add the milk and 2 tablespoons cream and blend until smooth, either using an immersion blender or by carefully transferring to a blender in batches.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, sherry, and sherry vinegar.
- Ladle into bowls and drizzle with cream.
- Soups/Stews, Cream
- North American
- Serves 4-6