If you've never had a soda cake before, you're missing out. Adding a little Dr Pepper to the batter creates fluffy, light, and delicately sweet treats. The hint of cherry and soda gummies take this recipe to a whole other level. You need to make this ASAP!
For more sweet cupcakes, check out our surprise-inside Lucky Charms cupcakes.
- For cupcakes:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle Dr Pepper Made With Cane Sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For icing:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 5 tablespoons Dr Pepper
- 1 tablespoon maraschino cherry juice
- Maraschino cherries
- Dr Pepper gummy candies
- To make cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a cupcake tin with wrappers.
- Into a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugars, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, add Dr Pepper, butter, and cocoa powder. Cook for a couple minutes until a boil starts to form. Pour into flour mixture.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla until blended. Add to batter and mix. Pour into cupcake liners 3/4 of the way full and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- To make icing: Into a medium-size bowl, whip butter until light and fluffy. Beat in sugar, followed by cream cheese. Then slowly beat in Dr Pepper and cherry juice.
- To assemble: Frost cupcakes and garnish with Dr Pepper or cola gummy, maraschino cherry, and a small straw.
- Desserts, Cupcakes
- Makes: 24 cupcakes
- Cook Time
- 35 minutes