- 4 thin chicken cutlets
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
Freshly cracked black pepper
Crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon grape-seed or vegetable oil
2 tablespoons butter, softened
Two 6-inch firm-textured hoagie rolls, split
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Generously season the chicken cutlets with salt on both sides.
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add 3 garlic cloves, and fry until lightly golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Season the sauce to taste with salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, and oregano. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the grape-seed oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Pat-dry the chicken cutlets. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken breasts, and brown on both sides.
- Add the chicken to the tomato sauce, and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes to marry the flavors.
- Meanwhile, preheat the broiler. Spread a little butter on each hoagie roll half, place cut side up on a half-sheet pan, and broil until golden and crunchy, about 3 minutes. Gently rub with the remaining garlic clove.
- Distribute half of the mozzarella on the roll halves. Arrange the chicken and some sauce over the cheese, and then top with the remaining cheese. Broil until the cheese is melted and bubbly, about 3 minutes.
- Main Dishes, Sandwiches
- North American
- 4 servings