Chicken lettuce wraps might seem like the sort of thing best left to dinners out, but they are actually quite easy to make at home. The trick is making sure that all your prep work is done before you start cooking, down to setting out the lettuce leaves, dipping sauce, and chopped cashews (for sprinkling atop each bundle). Sure, it involves a bit of chopping (or rather, mincing), but it's the sort of meditative prep work that will help melt away the day's stresses. All in all, it's a pretty quick process, making for a great weeknight option.
- 16 large butter lettuce leaves
1/2 cup Asian sweet chili sauce
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, finely chopped
1/4 cup unsalted, roasted cashews, chopped
2 scallions, minced
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons peanut oil
4 medium shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced and peeled
- Arrange lettuce leaves on a large platter. Pour chili sauce into a small bowl; place on platter with leaves. Add cashews to a small serving bowl.
- Mix chicken, scallions, soy sauce, and cornstarch in a medium bowl; marinate chicken 10 minutes at room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; stir-fry 15 seconds. Add garlic and ginger, and stir-fry 10 seconds. Add chicken mixture and cook, stirring often, until golden brown and cooked through, about 3-4 minutes.
- Spoon chicken mixture into a bowl, and serve with the lettuce leaves, chili sauce, and cashews. To eat: spoon chicken into a lettuce cup, sprinkle with cashews, roll leaves around filling, and dip into chili sauce.
- Poultry, Appetizers
- North American
- 8 servings as an appetizer
- Total Time
- 29 minutes, 59 seconds
Image Source: POPSUGAR Photography / Nicole Perry