If you show up to the party with puppy chow, everyone will love you. Easily one of the most nostalgic childhood snacks, puppy chow is a sweet and crunchy treat traditionally made with Chex cereal, chocolate, peanut butter, and powdered sugar. This recipe has a Halloween twist with dark chocolate and orange M&M's (both regular and peanut butter, because it's my personal belief that peanut butter M&M's reign supreme).
You can get as creative as you want and add candy corn or other favorite Halloween candies, but the one rule you might want to follow is to double the recipe because — you've been warned — it's scarily good and will go quickly.
- 5 cups Chex or similar rice cereal
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Orange M&M's, regular and peanut butter
- Place cereal in a large mixing bowl.
- Add dark chocolate and peanut butter to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 20 seconds at a time, stirring after each time, until fully melted. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour chocolate mixture over cereal and mix carefully until the cereal is fully coated.
- Add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time, mixing thoroughly each time, until cereal is evenly coated. Alternatively, add cereal to a gallon-size resealable bag, add powdered sugar, and shake until coated.
- Serve in a large bowl with M&M's sprinkled on top.
- North American
- 5 cups
- Total Time
- 10 minutes