Here's an ugly Christmas sweater your loved ones can't refuse! Start with an ugly sweater cookie cutter ($8) and use this recipe for roll-out sugar cookies and royal icing. Dye the icing to your liking (I made maroon with a few drops of red and 1 drop of black and the bluish-gray with a few drops of blue and 1 drop of black). Feel free to make gold for the lettering, if you have the patience! We piped on the first initial of every guest at our party — it makes for a fun and memorable favor. The easiest and best way to actually ice the cookies is with a piping bag fitted with round tips ($15). Not great with cookie decoration? No worries! The uglier the cookie, the more like Mrs. Weasley's actual sweaters. Happy Christmas!
Use a #2 or #3 icing tip.
- 1 batch sugar cookie dough
1 pound powdered sugar
2 large egg whites
Red, blue, and black gel food coloring
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line two half-sheet pans with parchment paper or Silpats.
- Roll out cookie dough to 1/4-inch thick. Use a sweater cookie cutter to cut out the dough. Place the cookie-dough rounds at least 1 inch apart on the half-sheet pan, and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until cookies are just beginning to turn brown around the edges, rotating cookie sheet halfway through baking time. Let sit on baking sheet for 2 minutes, and then transfer to a wire rack to let them cool completely.
- While the cookies cool, combine the powdered sugar and egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix on low speed until completely blended and the icing holds a ribbon-like trail on the surface of the mixture for 5 seconds when you raise the paddle. If it's too thick, then add water 1 teaspoon at a time; if it's too thin, then add powdered sugar 1 tablespoon at a time until it reaches the desired thickness. Divide the icing and dye to your liking, then transfer to piping bags fitted with round tips.
- To decorate, pipe or spread a thin layer of the royal icing on a cookie. Allow the icing to dry and harden completely before piping on lettering and sweater details. Let dry completely before storing or stacking the cookies.
- Desserts, Cookies
- North American
- About 18 sweater cookies