If you want to bring something to Thanksgiving that everyone is bound to love, then get cooking with this supersimple mushroom, spinach, and goat cheese queso! This melted and creamy dip can be served with crostini, crudités, or even crackers and chips for a little extra crunch. The sautéed mushrooms add an earthy flavor that is complemented by the tangy goat-cheese base, and the chipotle pepper adds just a touch of spiciness to the dish. This dip could easily be prepared today, then baked just before serving tomorrow to ensure that it's nice and gooey. Surprise your Thanksgiving feasters with a new take on an old classic dinner-party favorite.
- 2 teaspoons expeller-pressed canola oil
1/2 pound mixed mushrooms, finely chopped
1/2 cup diced red onion
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
3 ounces cream cheese
6 ounces (about 1 3/4 cups) shredded pepper jack cheese
1 1/2 cups sliced baby spinach leaves
2 chipotles in adobo (from a can), minced
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onions and salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms have released their liquid and are both dry and lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Spread mushrooms and onions over the bottom of a small ovenproof casserole or gratin dish.
- In a large bowl, combine goat cheese, cream cheese, pepper jack cheese, spinach, and chipotles. Toss until combined. Spread cheese mixture evenly over mushrooms and bake until bubbling, about 25 minutes. Serve hot.
- Dips, Appetizers
- North American
- Serves 6 to 8 as an appetizer (Makes about 3 1/2 cups)