- For the cupcakes:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons orange zest
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2/3 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
4 large eggs
2/3 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the frosting:
1 cup unsalted butter
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
The juice of 1 orange
- 2 dozen ice cream cones
- Make the cupcakes: Preheat oven to 325°F. Line two muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine the sugar and citrus zest. Using a hand or stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, and continue mixing. Alternate adding dry ingredients and sour cream to mixture. Add vanilla, and mix just until incorporated.
- Fill cupcake tins about 2/3 full, and bake for 20-25 minutes or until light-golden brown and springy. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Make the candy flames: Line a half-sheet pan with wax paper.
- Melt orange, red, and yellow candy melts in three separate dishes. Pour candy onto a baking sheet lined with wax paper in a zigzag motion, or pipe the chocolate into flame shapes, using a toothpick for a marbled flame effect. Refrigerate until completely set and firm, about 5 minutes.
- Peel marbled candy melts off of the wax paper, and break into flame-like shards.
- Make the frosting: Cream butter, sugar, and salt until combined. Add vanilla and orange juice, and beat for 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. The frosting should be thick enough to pipe. If it is too stiff, thin it by adding orange juice 1 teaspoon at a time; if it is too thin, thicken it by adding sifted powdered sugar 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Decorate the cupcakes: To assemble, peel the cupcake liners off of each cupcake and anchor the cupcakes in the ice cream cones with a dab of frosting. Transfer the frosting to a pastry bag fitted with a star tip, and pipe. Decorate with candy flames.
- Desserts, Cupcakes
- North American
- 2 dozen cupcakes