Yes you can have s'mores for breakfast with this french toast sandwich recipe from The Outdoor Adventure Cookbook ($16) by Coleman. You don't have to be camping to enjoy this treat. This fast-and-easy recipe can be whipped up in any kitchen. With the addition of marshmallows and Nutella, you just can't miss out on this version.
You’ll be the hit of the campsite with everyone’s favorite campsite dessert served at breakfast. If cooking for a crowd, keep the finished sandwiches wrapped in foil. This recipe is best served the first morning, while the French bread is still fresh.
- 1 French bread loaf
- 1⁄2 cup hazelnut-chocolate spread, such as Nutella
- 8 regular-size marshmallows
- 4 graham crackers
- 6 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup pure maple syrup, optional
- Heat a camping stove to medium-high (about 375° to 400°F), or fit a grilling grate over the direct heat of glowing embers. Cut the bread loaf diagonally into 8 (1/2- to 3/4-inch) slices. Spread one side of each bread slice with 1 tablespoon hazelnut-chocolate spread. Top each of four slices with 2 marshmallows and 1 graham cracker. Cover with the remaining bread slices, hazelnut-chocolate spread side down.
- Whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, and cinnamon in a shallow dish.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet on the camping stove or grilling grate. Dip each sandwich in the egg mixture, coating both sides. Add 2 sandwiches to hot oil in skillet, and cook until the bread is golden brown and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. (Adjust the heat to prevent excessive browning, if necessary.) Repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and two sandwiches. Serve with maple syrup, if desired.
- Breakfast/Brunch, French Toast
- Serves 4
- Cook Time
- 15 minutes