I love the Super Bowl. Not because of the commercials, nor the prospect of a viral halftime show (let us all remember Left Shark). Not even because of the football. No, my undying love for this day-of-all-sports-days comes from the food. More specifically, snack food. Popper, nugget, deep-fried, melted cheese-covered; whatever form, I'll take it. My ideal Super Bowl meal consists of nothing but finger food, and I expect this year to be no different, starting with sweet potato tater tots.
These tots couldn't be more simple to put together, (hello, five ingredients!) so you can spend more time eating — I mean, watching sports — and less time in the kitchen on Super Bowl Sunday.
To crush the potato chips, I find that the best way to get a breadcrumb-like texture is to throw them in the food processor and grind away. However, there's a certain satisfaction that comes from placing chips in a large ziploc bag and getting out all your aggression by pounding the heck out of them with a rolling pin. I've also found that the best way to get uniform tots is to portion out the potato mixture with a 1-tablespoon cookie scoop before rolling them into that classic oblong shape.
The trick to achieving a texture akin to a traditional deep-fried tot in this healthier baked version is to partially pre-cook the potatoes, grate them, then let them crisp up in the oven. The result? Perfectly crunchy outside, tender and soft on the inside.
If you're looking to get fancy, try serving these bad boys with a plethora of dips: cocktail sauce, honey mustard, barbecue sauce, spicy mayo — the list goes on and on!
- 2 large or 3 small sweet potatoes
1/2 cup grated parmesan or pecorino romano cheese
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup finely ground salt and pepper potato chips
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Rinse and peel the sweet potatoes. Bring a medium pot of water to boil and cook potatoes for 12 minutes (you want them firm, but parcooked enough to poke with a fork.) Let cool.
- Once potatoes have cooled a bit, use a food processor's grater attachment or a box grater to grate the potatoes. Transfer to a bowl and fold in cheese, egg, chips, and paprika.
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop out potato mixture into scant 1-tablespoon portions onto baking sheet and roll slightly with your hands into proper tot shape. Divide rolled tots evenly among the two baking sheets.
- Bake tots for 15-20 minutes, flipping halfway through, until brown and crispy. If they're not getting as crisp as you'd like, pop them in the broiler for the final 2 minutes of baking. Remove from the oven and serve immediately with desired dipping sauces.
- Appetizers, Finger Foods
- North American
- About 50 tots
- Total Time
- 44 minutes, 59 seconds