Juicy watermelon, briny feta, sharp red onion, and bitter arugula might seem like an odd combination, but toss them together into this simple Summer salad, and you'll see why variations on this mix abound. The crisp sweetness of the watermelon is a wonderful counterpoint to the leafy, slightly bitter arugula, and the saltiness of the feta finds itself mellowed by the red onion's kick. Though this salad only has a handful of ingredients, each one plays an equal part in adding to the complexity of the dish. Arugula wilts quickly when wet, so hold off on the dressing until right before serving.
- 1/4 medium red onion, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
Pepper, freshly ground
3 bunches arugula (about 12 ounces total), thick stems removed
1 1/2-pound piece chilled seedless watermelon
8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Add the red onion and vinegar to a small bowl, tossing the onion so it's evenly coated; let sit for 10 to 20 minutes. (The vinegar bath will help mellow out the onion's bite.)
- Meanwhile, remove the rind from the watermelon and cut it into small chunks; there should be 2 to 3 cups of watermelon chunks.
- Remove the onions from the vinegar, and add them to a large salad bowl with the arugula. Add the olive oil to the vinegar; whisk to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add to the arugula and onions, and toss to coat. Gently toss with the watermelon and feta.
- Side Dishes, Greens , Salads
- North American
- 4 servings