Wild rice might not be quite as popular a stuffing base as cubes of a crusty boule or tender cornbread, but don't discount it quite yet. It too makes for a deliciously carb-loaded Thanksgiving side that your whole family will devour. Made with wild rice, brown rice, mushrooms, and just enough butter and olive oil to make it crave-worthy, it's a worthy contender for your holiday table this year.
To make vegetarian, sub vegetable stock for the chicken stock.
- 1 cup wild rice
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, sliced
- 6 ounces oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 large dried ancho chile, stemmed and finely chopped
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Sherry vinegar, to taste
- Place wild rice in heavy medium saucepan. Add enough cold water to cover rice by 3 inches. Bring to boil and add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until rice is almost tender, about 45 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, melt 1/2 tablespoon butter with 1/2 tablespoon oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add shiitakes and a few generous pinches of salt, and sauté until brown, about 7 minutes. Add 1/2 tablespoon butter with 1/2 tablespoon oil to the same pot; heat over medium-high heat. Add oyster mushrooms and a few generous pinches of salt, and sauté until brown, about 7 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with shiitakes.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon butter and 1/2 tablespoon oil to same pot; heat over medium heat. Add chopped onion to pot with a few pinches of salt; sauté until golden and very tender, about 20 minutes. Add chile; stir 1 minute. Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter and 1/2 tablespoon oil to pot; add brown rice and stir 2 minutes.
- Add wild rice, broth, bay leaves, and 1 teaspoon salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium; cover and simmer until all rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Fluff rice mixture with fork. Stir in mushrooms and parsley. Season to taste with sherry vinegar and more salt.
- Side Dishes, Stuffing/dressing
- North American
- 6-8 servings