Baking with seasonal ingredients like pumpkin is my favorite. From pumpkin spice dump cakes to pumpkin cream cheese bars, there are so many possibilities! And this year, I vowed to step out of my baking comfort zone and try recipes a little more advanced (though I'll never turn down a homemade chocolate chip cookie). Inspired by the first time I tried monkey bread at an eighth-grade sleepover, allow me to introduce this homemade pumpkin-cheesecake-stuffed monkey bread with a cinnamon sugar glaze. Yep, get ready to dive fork-first into one of the most delicious treats you'll ever have.
My secret for this dessert is baking the bread in layers. If baked as a full bundt, the bottom row of stuffed biscuits won't fully bake and you'll end up with a burnt top and raw bottom, which will leave you frustrated (trust me, I went through a few rounds of trial and error). Similar to how you would stuff dumplings, flatten each piece of biscuit and place a small amount (about a teaspoon) of the pumpkin cream cheese filling inside. Then, carefully fold all the corners and pinch to close. It may take a while, but patience is key!
For me, there's no such thing as too much cinnamon sugar, and I like to add a few extra pinches between each layer. When it comes to the cinnamon sugar glaze, you're totally in charge. The easiest way to create a thick consistency is by whisking in a half teaspoon of milk at a time until you have your desired texture. The exact opposite can be done for a thin, transparent glaze. Either way, you can't go wrong. This pumpkin-cheesecake-stuffed monkey bread is a fall showstopper!
Sprinkle a few pinches of cinnamon sugar between each layer for extra sweetness.
- For Monkey Bread:
1/2 cup cinnamon sugar
1 1/4 cups pumpkin puree
1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
1 cup brown sugar, divided
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
3 cans refrigerated biscuits
1/2 cup butter plus more for bundt pan
- For Glaze:
3/4 cup confectioners sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon sugar
1 tablespoon whole milk
- Prepare cinnamon sugar in a large bowl and set aside. In a small mixing bowl, combine pumpkin, cream cheese, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and pumpkin spice. Whisk until creamy and there are no cream cheese lumps. Set aside.
- On a cutting board, cut each biscuit in half. Using your hands, flatten each half and place on a teaspoon-size portion of the pumpkin cream cheese mixture. Tightly roll from all corners and pinch to close. Continue until half of the pieces are stuffed.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease bundt pan with butter. Toss 4-5 stuffed biscuits at a time in cinnamon sugar mixture, layering into bundt pan once coated.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter and remaining 3/4 cup brown sugar. Pour half of mixture over coated biscuits. Transfer to oven and bake until halfway cooked, about 15 minutes.
- While the bottom layer is baking, stuff remaining biscuits and toss in cinnamon sugar.
- Remove bundt pan from oven and layer remaining pieces. Stuff crevices with leftover pumpkin cream cheese mixture. Pour remaining melted butter mixture (you may need to reheat it) into the pan. Place back into oven until fully baked, about 20 to 35 minutes. Each oven and bundt pan is different, so yours may bake faster or need longer in the oven.
- Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 10 minutes. While bread is cooling, whisk together glaze ingredients.
- Carefully transfer monkey bread from pan to plate. Drizzle with glaze and serve warm.
- 6 servings
- Prep Time
- 35 minutes
- Cook Time
- 50 minutes
- Total Time
- 1 hour, 24 minutes, 59 seconds