Image Source: POPSUGAR Photography / Grace Hitchcock
Give your home a professionally styled look! One Kings Lane's Kelly Lack has put together the transformative home decor items every top designer turns to — and every home should have.
When you look at chic home after chic home, a few pieces pop up again and again. Not because they're cliché, but because they're utterly classic — and wildly useful to boot. With that in mind, we pulled together a top 10 list of tried-and-true pieces that should have a spot in every home. How many do you have?
1. Gilded mirrors. Grand, romantic, and timeless — what's not to love? A glint of gilt dials up the drama in any room, and all mirrors add the illusion of light and space.
2. Simple tumblers. Effortless entertaining in a glass. Someone drops by unexpectedly, and you'll want to have a sleek set of these on hand so that you can quickly grab a couple and mix your guest a cocktail (while hoping you picked up that dirty laundry in the bathroom — eek!).
3. Rush baskets. The question is, what can't they do? They can hold wood near a fireplace, clothes in a laundry room, blankets in the living room, or toys in your tot's room. In other words, baskets help your chaos appear under control.
4. Lacquered trays. Trays might just be the ultimate decorators' trick. Those finished in lacquer elevate everything corralled on them, from perfume bottles in your bathroom to liquor on your bar.
5. Linen napkins. Ditch the paper, people. When setting your table, those pretty plates need chic cloth sidekicks to match.
Image Source: POPSUGAR Photography / Lisette Mejia
Dine with cloth napkins, fine china, and silver at every meal — even breakfast! What's the point of owning beautiful things if you don't use them?
— Designer Grant K. Gibson
6. Garden stools. They can tuck under a console table to be pulled out when you need extra seating or stand in for a side table.
7. Cashmere throws. The opportunities are endless: leave a couple rolled up in a basket in your living room for easy access when you want to cozy up during movie night; drape one over the foot of your bed for added oomph; tuck one around the back or seat cushions of your sofa to switch up the look sans a reupholstery job.
8. Hurricane vessels. These sleek vessels (which protect your candles from wind but can also hold flowers) add height to vignettes, can frame a piece of art on a mantel or a console, and have centerpiece written all over them.
9. Silver picture frames. Some things never go out of style. Sticking disparate photos of friends, family, and past Summer vacations in silver frames gives them a chic, cohesive look.
10. Coffee table books. They can riff off organic shapes like shells or potted plants in a vignette, and they give guests something to page through after plopping down on your couch.