The Best White Jeans For Your Body Type
Summer is for cool drinks, outdoor cookouts, and white jeans. But if you've struggled in the past to find a pair that not only meets your thickness specifications (not too sheer to let your undies show, but not too thick to overheat you) but also flatters your body the right way (skinny or boyfriend, cropped or not), we feel you. That's why we reached out to Kathy Moca, one of the founders of jean line Beija-Flor (the other founder is her daughter Emilie Whitaker), to answer all our questions and finally help us find the best fit for each body type.
Scroll ahead to find her expert recommendations for you, but not before reading what you must keep in mind when buying white jeans no matter what — from how to clean them to the best material for them.
- Avoid anything sheer. But you also don't want the pants to be superthick denim or you won't wear them on hot Summer days. Kathy suggests looking for lightweight denim fabric — the one that has a heathered finish and sort of looks like linen.
- Pockets are of utmost importance. Forget about buying a pair of white jeans without first analyzing its pockets. "Try to get a pair with faux front pockets, that way there's no material to budge up in the front and no way your pockets will show through the jeans," Kathy said.
- Go for white stitching. Blue jeans tend to have brown stitching, but that shade will stand out in white jeans. "A soft khaki shade is not bad either," Kathy said.
- Never dry-clean white jeans. "The chemicals used in dry cleaning will end up yellowing the fabric," Kathy said. Instead, don't be afraid to spot clean, and find a good laundry detergent that's clear or white and use it sparingly; after, don't put your jeans in the dryer. "The heat and rough rubbing action of a dryer wears off the jeans quickly."
- Wear them with a white top. "People have this idea that they have to wear bright tops with a white pant, but it's very elegant to get the full head-to-toe white look," Kathy added.