Dr. Fran Walfish, a Beverly Hills family and relationship psychotherapist, author of The Self-Aware Parent, and costar on We TV's Sex Box, lets us in on some important tips for keeping your relationship healthy.
- Commit to the belief that obstacles and disappointments in your life are opportunities to grow.
- Communicate with each other, especially when conflicts arise. Talking is the glue that holds relationships together.
- Do not try to sweep away, avoid, or protect yourself from wrestling with a challenge on your own.
- Be brutally honest with yourself and own your feelings.
- Define your boundaries. Know where your comfort zone is and be prepared to clearly and kindly articulate this when someone crosses the line.
- Work on expressing anger when you feel it in the moment. Don't be afraid to say it. It's much better to be a straight-shooter than a dishonest person.
- Don't be afraid to say, "I don't know." You can always come back and answer later but you can't erase a lie told.
- Always be curious and open enough to look within and become more self-aware.
- Be kind and nice to others.
- Do not strive for perfection. Be "good enough."
- We cannot shield ourselves from hurdles. The best we can do is give ourselves coping skills to deal with all that will come our way.
- Praise every increment toward your own independence and take pride, as you should, in growing outward into the world.
Image Source: Shutterstock