This delicious recipe is nutritious and delicious, and can be sliced up into any size to make training treats or a snack to serve between meals. The added bonus is that oats are gluten-free, so this recipe is a super choice for pups or kitties with gluten sensitivities. Blending the liver can be slightly unnerving for the faint of heart, but it only takes a few seconds and it'll all be worth it when you see your pet's eyes light up!
- 4 cups fresh raw organic beef liver
3 free range eggs
1/4 cup safflower or olive oil
1 clove fresh garlic, crushed
2 cups instant oats
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
2 tablespoons applesauce
Filtered warm water sufficient to make a batter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Process the liver in a blender or food processor, until completely pureed.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and pour in the oil.
- Add the blended liver.
- Add in the oats and yeast (if using) slowly, stirring continuously so they are thoroughly combined.
- Add the applesauce, and then pour in the warm water a little at a time (stirring after each addition), until you have a "batter" consistency.
- Pour this batter into a greased loaf tin.
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes.
- Cool in the tin until able to be handled, then gently turn the loaf out onto a rack and refrigerate to cool completely.
- Slice with a sharp knife and then dice into bite sized pieces appropriate for your pet.
- Pet Treats
- North American