Of all the things in your apartment to keep clean, we're guessing your mattress hasn't made the list. But you should be periodically deep-cleaning the place you spend nearly one-third of your entire life. Along with refreshing your bed, this easy cleaning DIY also ensures a better night's sleep. There's no need for harsh chemicals or expensive concoctions — all you need is a box of baking soda (and, if you're feeling fancy, an essential oil) to clean your mattress.
What You'll Need to Clean Your Mattress
- 16-ounce box baking soda
- Essential oil
- Vacuum cleaner
How to Clean Your Mattress
- Before beginning, flip or rotate the bed, which is smart to do every six months to extend mattress life and prevent sagging. While you're working on your mattress, toss your bedding in the wash, and fluff duvets or feather beds in the dryer.
- Open the box of baking soda and add 10 to 20 drops of your favorite essential oil. Close the box and give it a good shake to distribute the essential oil and break up any large clumps. Lavender, chamomile, sandalwood, and ylang ylang are all soothing scents that would be wonderfully calming. And essential oils are naturally antibacterial.
- Sprinkle the baking soda over the bed, using the entire box. Now it's time for a mattress massage! Rub the baking soda mixture into the bed, which really gives your mattress a deep cleaning. Let the baking soda and essential oil work its magic for at least an hour.
- While you're waiting, wipe down the walls around your bed and the bed frame, creating a nice and clean sleeping area. After an hour, vacuum the mattress, working slowly to ensure all the baking soda has been removed.
- Along with freshening your bed, the mixture helps lift dirt and residue while wicking away moisture. And giving your mattress a good vacuuming sucks away any lurking dust mites, which makes everyone sleep easier. Make the bed, and you're ready for some serious slumber.