While each month's full moon may look similar, they all have their own unique names and origin stories. And May's is especially fitting: This month's full moon is known as a flower moon, and while it's always a beautiful spring event to look forward to, this year's is especially powerful. That's because this full moon is a supermoon, meaning it's extra-close to the Earth and therefore extra-powerful, and it coincides with a total lunar eclipse for most of North America. Its official name: the super flower blood moon lunar eclipse.
Full moons are supposed to be an opportunity to let go of burdens you've been carrying; to release those weights, and move forward more freely. Lunar eclipses are a time to focus on your relationship with yourself. Combine all that with spring's energy of renewal and self-discovery, and you can see how the super flower blood moon has the potential to be a truly powerful cosmic event — if you know how to tap into it. To help you do just that, we asked astrologers about the origin of the flower moon, and what it means for each zodiac.
Why Is It Called the Flower Moon?
May's flower moon got its name for obvious reasons — the amount of flowers that are present in May, according to The Old Farmer's Almanac. "'Flower Moon' has been attributed to Algonquin peoples, as confirmed by Christina Ruddy of The Algonquin Way Cultural Centre in Pikwakanagan, Ontario," the almanac states.
Why Is It Called A Blood Moon?
It's not as dire as it sounds! During a total lunar eclipse, the moon is shadowed by the Earth, and that shadow gives the moon a reddish tint. It can be quite pretty — and it feels almost fitting for the full flower moon to also be a beautifully hued blood moon.
Why Is It Called A Supermoon?
At times, the moon's orbit brings it closer or farther away to the Earth. Supermoons occur when a full moon coincides with the time that the moon is at its closest point to the Earth. They make the moons look bigger than usual — and can make the full moon energy even stronger.
When Is the Super Flower Blood Moon in 2022?
You'll find the flower moon at its peak on Monday, May 16, 2022, at 12:14 a.m. ET. The total lunar eclipse reaches its peak just a few minutes before, at 12:11 a.m. ET on May 16.
What Sign Is the Super Flower Blood Moon in May?
May's flower moon will be in Scorpio.
What Is the Spiritual Meaning of the Super Flower Blood Moon?
Astrologer Sofia Adler says the super flower blood moon will definitely be intense: "This moon asks us to be vulnerable so we can become more intimate with ourselves and others." She also shares that this is a time to give up what doesn't serve you, adding, "This moon is an opportunity to make your way to the other side and continue to expand and evolve. The name of this moon is fitting, because every flower starts out as a seed, buried in the dark, damp soil. Nature knows that darkness has its purpose and will lead you to the light."
The eclipse only adds another layer of intensity. "The lunar eclipse is all about letting go as it is aligned with the South Node of Destiny in Scorpio. And being a Scorpio is a transformational sign, we are being asked to revise or of all our current life paths," says Lisa Stardust, astrologer and author of "The Astrology Deck: Your Guide to the Meanings and Myths of the Cosmos". "With action planet Mars, authoritative Saturn, tender Neptune, and Metamorphic Pluto being in alignment with the eclipse, we will be pushed to evolve and let go of beliefs or relationships that aren't serving our greater good. The time to grow up and adult yourself is now. Are you ready?"
What Does the Flower Moon Mean For Zodiac Signs?
Here, Adler is sharing what the flower moon means for your rising sign, "because readers actually want to read for their rising sign first, rather than their sun sign." You can find your rising sign using a free birth chart calculator like this one. You need your birth time to calculate your rising sign, also know as your Ascendant; it changes roughly every two hours.
- Aquarius: Take a keen look at how you're perceived this month and make sure it's what you want. This is also a month for career progression.
- Pisces: Go ahead and scratch that travel itch this month, because it's time for an adventure. This is the time for furthering your learning, so you may also consider taking classes to learn something new.
- Aries: Adler says this flower moon is the perfect time for Aries to focus on inner healing. "It's a good time for therapy or other work that helps you navigate your subconscious," she adds.
- Taurus: Taurus should focus on their relationships during this month. All of your intimate one-on-one relationships deserve your attention and care.
- Gemini: Take a look at your mental and physical health during this month, Adler says, and consider "how you want to be of service to the world."
- Cancer: Creativity can shine this month, Cancer. Dive into your passions and let them take over, because you never know where they may lead you.
- Leo: This month is all about your home life for Leos. This intimate space needs cultivation and love, so pour your energy there.
- Virgo: Take a look at how you're communicating with others this month, Adler says, especially calling out how this month "could also influence relationships with siblings" if you have them.
- Libra: May could just be a month of financial progress for Libras, Adler says. Whether this is coming into financial success or simply figuring out a recent financial strain remains to be seen.
- Scorpio: The flower moon in May is "asking Scorpio to welcome all parts of you," Adler says. It's also a time to focus on your sense of self and identity.
- Sagittarius: Don't be afraid to spend time alone during the flower moon, Adler says. Solitude can do you some good and recharge your energy while helping you slow down your pace of life.
- Capricorn: Seek out "peers and allies that will support you in setting goals and creating a strategic plan for your future," Adler says. These people will be crucial to your month.
When Is the Next Full Moon?
The full moon following May's flower moon will be June's strawberry moon on June 14, 2022. The next flower moon will be on May 5, 2023.
— Additional reporting by Mirel Zaman