The full flower moon in May is one beautiful spring event to look forward to. While each month's full moon may look similar, they all have their own names and origin stories. Gazing at the full moon each month can be an eye-opening experience, especially when you consider how it can affect your life and your future. Find out the origin of the flower moon and what an astrologer says it means for each zodiac.
Why Is It Called the Flower Moon?
May's flower moon got its name for obvious reasons — the amount of flowers that are present in May, according to The Old Farmer's Almanac. The almanac also reads, "'Flower Moon' has been attributed to Algonquin peoples, as confirmed by Christina Ruddy of The Algonquin Way Cultural Centre in Pikwakanagan, Ontario."
When Is the Full Flower Moon in 2022?
You'll find the flower moon at its peak on Monday, May 16, 2022, at 12:14 a.m. ET.
What Sign Is the Flower Moon in May?
May's flower moon will be in Sagittarius.
What Is the Spiritual Meaning of the Flower Moon?
Astrologer Sofia Adler says the flower moon will definitely be intense. "This moon asks us to be vulnerable so we can become more intimate with ourselves and others." She also shares that this is a time to give up what doesn't serve you, adding, "This moon is an opportunity to make your way to the other side and continue to expand and evolve. The name of this moon is fitting, because every flower starts out as a seed, buried in the dark, damp soil. Nature knows that darkness has its purpose and will lead you to the light."
What Does the Flower Moon Mean For Zodiac Signs?
- Aquarius: Take a keen look at how you're perceived this month and make sure it's what you want. This is also a month for career progression.
- Pisces: Go ahead and scratch that travel itch this month, because it's time for an adventure. This is the time for furthering your learning, so you may also consider taking classes to learn something new.
- Aries: Adler says this flower moon is the perfect time for Aries to focus on inner healing. "It's a good time for therapy or other work that helps you navigate your subconscious," she adds.
- Taurus: Taurus should focus on their relationships during this month. All of your intimate one-on-one relationships deserve your attention and care.
- Gemini: Take a look at your mental and physical health during this month, Adler says, and consider "how you want to be of service to the world."
- Cancer: Creativity can shine this month, Cancer. Dive into your passions and let them take over, because you never know where they may lead you.
- Leo: This month is all about your home life for Leos. This intimate space needs cultivation and love, so pour your energy there.
- Virgo: Take a look at how you're communicating with others this month, Adler says, especially calling out how this month "could also influence relationships with siblings" if you have them.
- Libra: May could just be a month of financial progress for Libras, Adler says. Whether this is coming into financial success or simply figuring out a recent financial strain remains to be seen.
- Scorpio: The flower moon in May is "asking Scorpio to welcome all parts of you," Adler says. It's also a time to focus on your sense of self and identity.
- Sagittarius: Don't be afraid to spend time alone during the flower moon, Adler says. Solitude can do you some good and recharge your energy while helping you slow down your pace of life.
- Capricorn: Seek out "peers and allies that will support you in setting goals and creating a strategic plan for your future," Adler says. These people will be crucial to your month.
When Is the Next Full Moon?
The full moon following May's flower moon will be June's strawberry moon on June 14, 2022. The next flower moon will be on May 5, 2023.