1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups half-and-half
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
Pumpkin Bread, (recipe below) sliced 1/4 inch thick
Candied Pumpkin (recipe below)
Softly whipped cream, for garnish
2 tablespoons finely chopped candied ginger, for garnish
Mint sprigs, for garnish
- In a bowl, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in 1/3 cup of the half-and-half.
- In a heavy medium saucepan, combine the remaining 1 2/3 cups of half-and-half with the sugar mixture and the cinnamon. Cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until the pudding thickens and comes to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and stir for 1 minute. Stir in the vanilla. Transfer the pudding to a bowl and press plastic wrap on the surface. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Arrange one-third of the Pumpkin Bread slices in a large glass bowl, overlapping them slightly. Spread one-third of the cinnamon pudding evenly on top. Top with one-third of the Candied Pumpkin with its syrup.
- Repeat the layering process two times. Garnish the trifle with a few dollops of whipped cream, the candied ginger and mint sprigs.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup fresh or canned unsweetened pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan and line the bottom with wax paper. In a bowl, sift together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until creamy. Gradually add the sugar and beat for 4 minutes. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time, then beat in the pumpkin puree. Stir the vanilla into the milk. Beat in the dry ingredients in 3 additions at low speed, alternating with the milk mixture.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan. Bake for about 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the loaf cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn it out onto a rack to cool.
Makes one 9-inch loaf.
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 cups diced ( 1/2 inch) sugar pumpkin or butternut squash
1/3 cup sugar
3/4 cup maple syrup
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Melt the butter in a large heavy skillet. Add the pumpkin and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the sugar until dissolved. Stir in the maple syrup, ginger and cinnamon and remove from the heat. Let cool and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours or overnight.
Makes about 3 cups.
- Desserts, Puddings/Mousse