Being inspired by a recipe I saw for no bake cookies that used a banana in place of butter, I decided to try my hand at creating a healthier version of my family recipe. 1 mashed banana replaces the 1 stick of butter, the sugar is cut in half and a low fat milk (skim or almond) is used instead of whole or 2%. Of course, there is quite a bit of sugar (1 cup) in the recipe but it’s still much healthier than traditional No Bake Cookies. I think regular old fashioned oats might work in place of the quick oats, but I had quick oats on hand so that’s what I used.This recipe was orginially posted on my healthy living blog.
* 1 ripe banana, mashed well
* 1 cup sugar
* 1/4 cup cocoa powder
* 1/2 cup non-fat milk
* 1/2 cup peanut butter
* pinch of salt
* 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
* 3 cups instant oats
- Place all ingredients except the vanilla and oats in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat – stirring often.
- Let the mixture boil for 1 minute, remove from heat and let the mixture cool for 1 minute.
- Add the vanilla and oats and stir well to combine.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper and cool to room temperature.
- Desserts, Cookies