When fast-food fans heard rumors that Frito-Lay and 7-Eleven were testing Doritos Loaded — essentially fried cheddar cheese sticks coated in Doritos crumbs — pictures of the snack went viral. As of July 2, the inside-out nachos will be available nationwide, but even if you can't make it to a 7-Eleven nearby, there's no need to shed a tear! We've hacked a home take on these cheesy Doritos bites, so you can enjoy them anywhere (and anytime) in the US of A.
Before you start, check out these tips and tricks for safe deep-frying.
2 pounds medium cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups Doritos Nacho Cheese chips
1 1/2 cups Doritos Spicy Nacho Cheese chips
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 quart vegetable, peanut, or canola oil
- Slice cheese into 1/2-inch-thick squares, and then slice each square on the diagonal to make 2 triangles.
- To a food processor, add both Doritos flavors, black pepper, paprika, and garlic powder, and pulse until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Transfer to a shallow bowl.
- In a separate, shallow bowl, beat eggs until whites and yolks are well combined. In a third shallow bowl, add flour. Set up a coating station: Set up cheese triangles to the farthest left-hand side, followed by flour bowl, followed by egg wash, followed by Doritos. Finally, line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, and set on the farthest right-hand side.
- Take each triangle of cheese, and coat in flour. Quickly dip into the egg wash, and then coat thoroughly in the Doritos crumbs. Lay onto a cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining triangles. Freeze the Doritos-coated cheese triangles for at least 3 hours before frying.
- When ready to serve, heat oil in a heavy-bottomed Dutch oven or electric deep fryer to 350°F. Working in batches, fry the cheese-stuffed Doritos for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the outside is crisp and golden brown.
- Remove the triangles from the oil with a slotted spoon, and place them on paper towels to drain. Serve immediately.
- Finger Foods, Appetizers
- 30 cheese-stuffed Doritos triangles