Read on for the directions.
What You'll Need:
- 1 cup loose tea
- Small bowl
- Cone coffee filters
- Lemon or orange peels
- Various seasonings or dried herbs
- Cotton string
- Paper and pen
- Select the type of loose tea to use as the base for creating your tea bags. You can create a single flavor profile or individual combinations for unique tea bags by mixing blends of tea, such as black and green. If making to take on your travels, stick with your favorite so you have something to look forward to. Mix together in a small bowl.
- Now that you've got a base, have fun with extras for a unique brew. One teaspoon of finely grated orange or lemon peel pairs well with green and black teas. Crumbling a half teaspoon of fresh mint with loose-leaf green creates a bright morning cup of tea, while adding a sprinkling of ground cinnamon and clove makes a hearty combination of flavor. Just remember to write down your concoctions!
- Take a cone-style coffee filter and fold it in half. Cut the filter in half, and then trim the top inch from each side.
- Spoon one teaspoon of the tea mix into one of the filter halves. Tap to the bottom corner and then place flat on your work surface. Fold the open side over, and then over again to close the open side of the bag.
- Now fold over the top corners of the tea bag toward the center, cut a four-inch section of the string, and place over the folded corners. Fold the top over the string, and then secure with a stapler. Most store-purchased bags are sealed with a small staple, or you can also opt to create really eco-friendly satchels by sewing the bags closed with a few stitches.
- Create cute finished tea bags by cutting a shape from plain or colorful construction paper, and then writing the name of your unique tea blend. Pop in a zip-top bag while traveling or arrange in a box and give as a hostess gift or to your favorite tea lover.