Keep reading for the simple directions.
What You'll Need:
- Plastic trays, bowls, and glasses
- Painter's tape
- Black latex paint
- Nonsanded grout
- Small container
- Gather your materials, and plan which parts of bowls, platters, or glasses will be coated with the chalkboard paint. Think about creating rectangles or making bands around glasses or bowls.
- Tear lengths of painter's tape and press around edges of the party platters and around bowls or glasses, designating where to paint the chalkboard paint.
- Mix together one part nonsanded grout, which you can find any any home-goods store, with two parts latex paint. You can use any color of paint you'd like, making this homemade chalkboard paint even cooler.
- Coat the platters, bowls, or glasses with a layer of chalkboard paint, working in one direction. Once an even coat has been applied, allow to dry for at least an hour.
- Brush a second layer of chalkboard paint on the dishes, painting the opposite direction from the first coat. Remove tape once paint is dry, and get ready to party! Even though the paint is food-safe, place small squares of parchment paper under cheeses so when cut with a knife, the trays won't be harmed. And the chalkboard party supplies can be gently hand-washed and reused at your next festive gathering.