Skip Nav
Geek Culture
This Woman Complied With Her Work's Infuriating Dress Code by Cosplaying
Geek Culture
Stop What You're Doing — NASA Just Released a New Pic of Jupiter!
Photography
This Depressing Photo Captures What's Wrong With Weddings These Days

Phone Burns Under Pillow

True Story: Smartphone Catches Fire After Girl Sleeps With It Under Her Pillow

We've joked about it before — how sleeping right next to your smartphone is a sign that things have gone too far. And now, there's proof. For 13-year-old Ariel Tolfree, who lives in Texas, her slumber turned into a real-life nightmare when her Samsung Galaxy S4 caught on fire under her pillow.

The smell of something burning woke her up in the night. "I didn't think much of it, so I went back to sleep, and then I woke up again and it was more prominent," Tolfree told a local news station.

The phone was completely charred, as were parts of her bedding, pillow, and mattress. She and her family were understandably upset and suspect that the battery is what overheated and caught fire first.

For its part, Samsung argued that the battery was a replacement and not the original one that came with the phone. It also said that the phone's manual comes with a warning label that cautions against covering the phone with bedding or other material that can catch fire.

Do yourself a favor, folks. Before going to sleep tonight, set your phone on your nightstand, in another room, or on the floor. Anywhere but in your bed.

Around The Web
Join The Conversation
2016 AstroFest Photography Winners
It's Time to Start Deleting Apps That Aren't Worth Your Time
Woman Responds to Racist Dress Code With Cosplay
Celebs Like Me Website
Diverse Pokemon Go Players Photo
Prisma App Turns Photos Into Art
Disney Emoji

POPSUGAR, the #1 independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.

From Our Partners
Latest Technology & Gadgets
X