My kids actually really like burgers and it is never any trouble to get them to eat one but getting them to eat a veggie alongside is nearly impossible. So, I have been tricking them and adding veggies to my burgers before I cook them. Depending on what veggies are in season, I will add them raw to my food processor to chop them up a bit. Mix it in with hamburger meat and add a little panko bread crumbs to keep it all together. My kids love the burgers and never complain that they are eating baby chard, squash and bell peppers. I usually put a little spinach pesto on the bun (they don't realize it is spinach they just love the way it tastes). The mini buns I have been buying at Trader Joe's are the perfect size for them. They chow down on these sliders with no hesitation or complaining.
- 1 pound of hamburger
- 1 small squash
- 1 bell pepper
- 1/2 cup baby chard
- 1/4-1/2 cup panko or bread crumbs
- salt and pepper
- cheese, if desired
- 12 slider buns
- 1/2 cup homemade spinach pesto
- tomato slices
- Use a food processor to rough chop your veggies. Don't over do it or they will become to watery.
- In a large bowl, add the veggies, hamburger meat, salt, pepper and panko. Mix ingredients well. Make patties that will fit on your bun using your hands or cookie cutter.
- Cook these in a pan over medium heat or in the oven at 350 for 15-25 minutes depending on the size. Cook until firm. Melt cheese over top, if desired.
- Toast buns. Spread a thin layer of pesto on the bottom bun, top with burger, tomato and bun top.
Enjoy watching your kids eat a bunch of veggies!
- Main Dishes, Beef