We know nail art doesn't seem like something every woman can wear, but that's just not true. Rhinestones and stars can be appropriate in your corporate meetings, too. Elyssa Starkman is the senior director of integrated marketing here at POPSUGAR, and she rocks the most inspiring nail designs we've ever seen (this Mercury Retrograde manicure is next on our to-do list). While we do admit our offices are less white collar and more shearling vest appropriate, Elyssa has found a way to incorporate her love for manicures into her big business meetings. They're obviously great conversation starters! Read on to get her top tips for wearing blinged-out nail art at work. Plus, she reveals the inspiration behind some of her favorite designs.
- Stay true to who you are, but remember your audience. Don't put anything on your nails that you wouldn't want your grandmother to see.
- Don't forget that gel nail art lasts over two weeks. Pick designs that complement your personal style and your wardrobe. You're going to have to look at those nails for a long time!
- If you want to ease into nail art, get a simple design on just one finger, and see how you feel.
- Follow nail artists or salons on Instagram, and take screenshots of artwork you like. Then, hold those screenshots up to your favorite outfits to see how they all work together.
- Shape is important, especially if you work at a computer all day long. Not only is a stiletto shape is going to be uncomfortable for you, but also, no one (trust me, no one) likes the sound of gel nails clicking away as you type.
- Always keep a few manicure essentials at your desk: a file to smooth any edges that start peeling up, nail glue for breaks, and a topcoat to put on if your gel starts to get scratched or dull.
- Do not pick your gel nails off while in a meeting. I've done it, and I'm not proud (sorry)!