Did You Catch the Symbolism in Taylor Swift's The Eras Tour Nails?
In March, Taylor Swift kicked off The Eras Tour, her latest string of shows where she journeys through her musical periods. To celebrate this new phase, she shared a carousel on Instagram of behind-the-scenes photos from rehearsal with the caption, "In my Eras era." At the very end, you can see a snap of her nails
The manicure shot shows Swift dressed in embroidered overalls. She's holding up her hands to reveal a different nail polish color on each finger, which, given the theme of The Eras Tour, we have an inkling represents each of her studio albums. After all, 10 albums, 10 fingers, 10 colors. Some of the colors are quite obvious: the black polish on her right thumb is likely for "Reputation," the red on her left index finger is for "Red," and the pink with white hearts is for "Lover."
For the remaining hues, it helps to look at the album covers. The shimmery gold matches the artwork for "Fearless," and the deep green and blue on her self-titled debut could merge into the turquoise on her left thumb. "1989" has a washed-out peach color to match her right ring finger, and the deep purple on her left middle finger matches the deluxe edition of "Speak Now." Meanwhile, given Swift's fondness of the single "Lavender Haze" (it got both its own music video and a dedicated remix EP), the lavender on her middle finger could be for "Midnights."
Where the detective work gets tricky are the green hues — a light green on her left pinky and a forest green on her right. Our guess is the forest green hints at "Folklore," which depicts Swift in a forest, surrounded by tall pines and thick brush. Meanwhile, the light green on her left pinky could be for "Evermore" where Swift is pictured coming out of the wilderness.
If you want to recreate the look yourself, keep scrolling for the best polish recommendations to help you nail the manicure at home.
How to Recreate Taylor Swift's Eras Tour Nails
- Taylor Swift Era Nails: No polish color is more reminescent of Swift's debut studio album than the CND Creative Play Nail Lacquer in Turquoise Tidings ($5).
- Fearless Era Nails: For a megawatt manicure that matches Swift's Fearless-inspired look, try a shimmery gold hue like the Emilie Heathe Nail Artist Polish in Billions ($30).
- Speak Now Era Nails: For this album, Swift chose a deep purple manicure with a shimmery finish. The near-perfect color match: the Essie Nail Polish in Flirt With Freedom ($10).
- Red Era Nails: This era was all about the classics. Once you've landed on a signature red lip, swipe on an equally iconic nail shade like the Dior Vernis Gel Shine & Long Wear Nail Lacquer in Rouge ($30).
- 1989 Era Nails: A washed-out peachy hue matches the album's Polaroid aesthetic. We recommend the Static Nails Liquid Glass Lacquer in Peachy Keen ($16).
- Reputation Era Nails: The dark, moody style of this album calls for inky black lacquer like the Essie Nail Polish in Licorice ($10).
- Lover Era Nails: Swift's manicure featured a little nail art, so you'll need two polishes to recreate it at home. For the pink base, choose a baby pink color like the OPI Nail Lacquer in Two-Timing the Zones ($11). Then, draw on two tiny hearts with a white nail pen like the Nails.Inc Bright White Mani Marker Nail Art Pen ($5).
- Folklore Era Nails: This era was all about greenery inspired by nature, which is why the Zoya Nail Polish in Ivanka ($10) is perfect.
- Evermore Era Nails: Similar to Folklore, this nail look featured a green color, but in this case it was more about the metallic foil top coat. Swipe on a dark base of any hue, then top it off with the ILNP Chrome Nail Polish in Neon Rosebud ($13).
- Midnights Era Nails: Swift went with a "Lavender Haze" inspired color featuring a holographic finish. You'll find exactly that with the Orly Breathable Nail Polish in Just Squid-ing ($11).