Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth's Breakup Details
Everything That's Happened Since Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth Broke Up
Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth broke up in August after less than one year of marriage. The duo — who first met on the set of The Last Song in 2009 — dated on and off for 10 years and tied the knot this past December in an intimate ceremony at their home in Nashville. Since their split, details have slowly started unfolding, and both Miley and Liam have already moved on with someone new. Keep reading to see everything we know so far about their separation.
- Miley vacations in Italy without her wedding ring. Just hours before the couple announced their split on Aug. 10, the 26-year-old singer shared photos of herself in Italy on Instagram. Noticeably missing from Miley's left hand was her wedding ring.
- Miley is spotted kissing The Hills star Kaitlynn Carter. The singer was seen making out with the 30-year-old reality TV star during the getaway. "They were not trying to hide it at all. There were other people sitting by the pool," ET reported. "They were fully on a date, getting drinks, just the two of them. They even got a couple of massages at the hotel." The PDA-filled photos surfaced a week after Kaitlynn split from Brody Jenner after one year of marriage.
- Miley's rep releases a statement. Later that evening, a rep for the singer confirmed to People that Miley and Liam had broken up after seven months of marriage. "Liam and Miley have agreed to separate at this time," her rep stated. "Ever-evolving, changing as partners and individuals, they have decided this is what's best while they both focus on themselves and careers. They still remain dedicated parents to all of their animals they share while lovingly taking this time apart. Please respect their process and privacy."
- Miley slams Brody on Instagram. Following Miley and Kaitlynn's makeout session, Brody joked about hooking up with Liam on Instagram on Aug. 11. "Watch out! Pics of Liam and I holding hands on the beach coming soon," he wrote alongside a scenic beach photo of himself. Miley then clapped back in his comments, writing, "Go take a nap in your truck and cool off #HotGirlSummer."
- Liam emerges in Australia. The 29-year-old actor appeared downcast when he stepped out for frozen yogurt with his older brother Chris on Aug. 12. According to People, Liam briefly commented on the split while speaking with Daily Mail Australia. "You don't understand what it's like," Liam reportedly told the outlet. "I don't want to talk about it mate." However, Liam later denied speaking with Daily Mail Australia.
- Liam speaks out. That same day, Liam broke his silence on Instagram. "Just a quick note to say that Miley and I have recently separated and I wish her nothing but health and happiness going forward," he wrote alongside a snap of a beach sunset. "This is a private matter and I have not made, nor will I be making, any comments to any journalists or media outlets. Any reported quotes attributed to me are false. Peace and love."
- Brandi Cyrus weighs in on the breakup. On Aug. 14, Miley's 32-year-old sister addressed the split on her Your Favorite Thing podcast with Wells Adams. "It's not my business to talk about and it's nothing anything of mine to tell," Brandi said. "There's nothing I can really say. I just, I'm here for her, obviously, and I've been spending a lot of time with her. When she's ready to talk about it or whatever, then she will."
- Miley and Liam reportedly had been having marriage trouble for a while. According to People, the singer didn't approve of Liam's partying ways. "Everyone always thinks Miley is problematic and immature and a hardcore partier while he's this chill surfer dude, but that's actually [not accurate]," a friend of the couple told the publication. "Liam parties with his friends, and Miley thinks he should've grown out of that by now." "She's been supportive of him when things get dark, but it's tough," another source close to Miley added. "That's something that has weighed on Miley and their relationship. He can also lash out at her, and he hates the attention their ups and downs bring."
- Miley and Kaitlynn return from their trip. On Aug. 14, Miley and Kaitlynn were spotted driving around LA together following their Italian getaway.
- Miley releases a new song. The singer surprised fans on Aug. 16 when she dropped a new single titled "Slide Away." In the emotional track, Miley seemingly addresses her split from Liam as she sings about a long-term relationship coming to an end and moving on.
- Miley leans on Kaitlynn. Miley and Kaitlynn are reportedly spending a lot of time together following their respective breakups. "Miley is very close with Kaitlynn. It's romantic, but also a friendship," a source told People. "They are both going through similar stuff right now and are bonding over it."
- Liam files for divorce.. On Aug. 21, it was reported that the actor hired divorce attorney Laura Wasser and filed court documents, citing "irreconcilable differences."
- Miley is focusing on herself. Before splitting from Liam, Miley was reportedly struggling with her identity, but now she "wants to be true to herself." "For them to be happy, she had to change as a person too much," a source told People. "She knows not being with Liam will make her happier in the long run."
- Miley and Kaitlynn get Brody a weed bouquet. For Brody's 36th birthday on Aug. 21, the ladies sent him a massive selection of Lowell Farms THC and CBD products, as well as a weed bouquet. "Miley and Kaitlynn, you guys really stepped it up on this one," Brody said in his Instagram Story. "You know my favorite company of all time. We got the birthday card attached to the weed bouquet, look at this! I have never seen one of these in my entire life. Happy birthday to me!"
- Miley gets a tattoo. On Aug. 21, celebrity tattoo artist Dr. Woo shared an Instagram photo of Miley's new arm ink, which was inspired by her recent trip to Italy with Kaitlynn. "Cool old sculpture @mileycyrus found in Italy," the artist captioned the snap.
- Miley speaks out. The singer addressed rumors that she cheated on Liam with Kaitlynn in a series of tweets on Aug. 22. "I can accept that the life I've chosen means I must live completely open and transparent with my fans who I love, and the public, 100% of the time," she wrote. "What I cannot accept is being told I'm lying to cover up a crime I haven't committed. I have nothing to hide." Miley concluded her tweets by saying that she decided to "make a healthy decision" for herself to "leave a previous life behind."
- Miley and Kaitlynn hit up a VMAs afterparty together. Following Miley's emotional performance of "Slide Away" at the MTV VMAs, the ladies were photographed holding hands while heading to the bash with Miley's mom, Tish Cyrus.
- Miley and Kaitlynn are reportedly living together. "They live together and are very happy," a source close to Miley told People. "Miley is doing great. She is moving on. She seems to have no regrets. She loves being with Kaitlynn."
- Miley helps Kaitlynn ring in her 32nd birthday. Even though the singer didn't post a tribute for Kaitlynn on social media, Kaitlynn did share photos of the pair looking cozy before heading out for her birthday dinner on Sept. 4. In a separate video, Miley was also shown snapping photos of Kaitlynn as she blew out her birthday candles.
- Miley and Kaitlynn break up. After a month of dating, the two split in September. "They're still friends," a source told People. "They've been friends forever and were there for each other when they were both getting separated, but they're just not in a romantic relationship anymore."
- Miley begins dating Cody Simpson. Shortly after, Miley began dating her longtime pal Cody. "Get used to me dating — this is where I am at!" Miley told fans on Instagram.
- Liam jumps back in the dating pool. Around the same time, Liam was spotted on a series of dates with fellow Australian actress Maddison Brown. According to People, the relationship is still "very new." "Liam is taking it slow but he's definitely interested in her," a source added.
- Miley seemingly shades Liam. During an Instagram Live with Cody, Miley appeared to take a dig at Liam when she said, "I always thought I had to be gay because I just thought, like, all guys were evil, but it's not true. There are good people out there that just happen to have d*cks. I've only ever met one and he's on this Live."