Image Source: Getty / Jason LaVeris
Who is John David Washington? That's the question you'll likely hear a lot this year. To start with the basics, the 33-year-old is the eldest son of Academy Award-winner Denzel Washington, and he's set to star one of the most buzzed-about movies of the year, BlacKkKlansman. Keep reading to discover seven fun facts about the rising star, and get familiar with John before he becomes a household name.
- He had a passion for sports before acting. John played football in high school and at Morehouse College. In 2006, he was signed by the St. Louis Rams and played on their practice squad for two years. He gave up his NFL dreams after tearing his Achilles tendon.
- He landed his first acting role when he was just nine years old. John had the privilege of acting alongside his famous dad in 1992's Malcolm X, in which he played a student in a Harlem classroom.
- He currently works with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. In 2015, John found success in his breakout role as Ricky Jerret in Showtime's comedy-drama, Ballers, executive produced and costarring Dwayne.
- He's already an award-nominated actor. John earned an NAACP nomination for outstanding supporting actor for his role in Ballers last year.
Image Source: Getty / Gregg DeGuire
- He passed out the first time he saw himself on TV. "I fainted," he admitted in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter. "I got like, a shortness of breath. I couldn't handle it."
- He would want Jim Carrey to play him in a biopic. Why? Well, simply because "[Jim is] awesome."
- The best advice he ever got from Denzel is as great as you'd expect. "Study," he told Yahoo when asked. "You're always learning, you got to be a professional."