These Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara Quotes Sum Up Their Glorious Friendship
Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara go way back. The two first met as young comedians in the 1970s and have worked together on several projects over the years, including SCTV, Best in Show, For Your Consideration, and, of course, Schitt's Creek. They're also currently working together on an animated short, titled The Beast, Heroes of the Wildfire, and they just took home a whole lot of gold for their work on Schitt's Creek at this year's Emmys. Because we can't enough of them and their beautiful friendship, we've rounded up some of their best quotes about each other. Grab some tissues and read them ahead.
Catherine on Eugene
- On dating Eugene once upon a time: "There's nothing sexier than laughing together and having someone who makes you laugh. . . . We did maybe one or two dates. . . . Thank goodness he's a gentleman, has always been a gentleman, and we get to have this working relationship."
- On working alongside Eugene: "I just really respect Eugene. I really like him."
- On why she and Eugene work so well together: "[W]ith Eugene — this is the lovely thing about working with a friend who you love and respect, and I really love and respect Eugene — he is really funny, he's very thoughtful in his work, he's a great writer, and a great actor. So even when it gets into an argument, I believe that there's no other crap in the way, it's all about making this the best it can be. And I hope he believes the same of me. It's great."
- On what she's learned from Eugene about comedy: "Eugene wrote more group scenes than anyone else on SCTV. His writing was and is very clean and precise. He's generous in his writing great material for others but he doesn't overwrite. His writing inspires and leaves lots to the imagination."
Eugene on Catherine
- On working alongside Catherine: "We've known each other for such a long time that it's just a comfortable relationship. And when you're doing comedy, number one, you do want to work with the best people. It's hard when you're not working with the best people, so the bottom line is you want really good people who are quite skilled at this particular kind of comedy, [which is] character work. Quite honestly, it's so much fun working with her, [but I also] know I'm working with the best person I could hire for the role."
- On their amazing chemistry: "It's always been fun working with Catherine and it's just familiarity, maybe? For me, it just kind of ups your game. You got to make sure you're putting as much into it as Catherine always does."
- On Catherine being his first and only choice to play Moira: "She was the very first. We had nobody else in mind besides Catherine. The thing was, Could we actually get her to do it?"
- On the biggest benefit of getting to act opposite of Catherine: "Working with Catherine has just been great. I mean, it's 40+ years we've been working together on and off and we have the same style of working. I mean, we've spent our lives in comedy and yet innately, we're not funny people. We love to get our comedy off the ground through the characters that we play, and we take that seriously. . . . So it's been a joyous experience to work with Catherine on this for six years. No question about it."