Skip Nav

Mom Find Worms in Baby's Formula

Outraged Mom's Warning to Parents After Finding Maggots in Her Baby Formula

Although Taylor Seyler was breastfeeding her 2-month-old son, Keighan, she needed help supplementing and purchased a can of Similac baby formula.

According to the Missouri mom, soon after preparing the bottle, she made a horrifying discovery while her little one was drinking it. "Two ounces down I noticed the worms, and I was like, oh. That's great," Taylor told KSHB. "[I] took it from his mouth, went and put a napkin over the faucet and we poured it down the drain and we saw the maggots on it."

Taylor took a photo of the worms and shared them on Facebook to warn other parents to check their containers of formula.


"I had recently read that another woman experienced this when feeding her baby formula, but never did I think it would happen to me!" Taylor wrote. "I only allow him to drink formula when I don't produce enough milk for the afternoon or night . . . but now I will NEVER feel comfortable or safe feeding him this crap again!"

In a statement to KSHB News, Abbott, the company that makes Similac, said that what was in baby Keighan's bottle was identified as Indian meal moth larva. They also stated that this type of moth larva are very common in kitchens — meaning any parent is at risk for this after they remove a formula's safety seal.

We take all concerns about product quality and safety seriously. Parents can be confident that our Similac infant formulas are safe. A third-party entomologist has reviewed the photos and concluded that based on the life cycle and the age and size of the Indian meal moth larva in the photos, they entered the product after it left our facilities and the safety seal was removed. Our products pass rigorous safety and quality checks, including numerous steps to check for foreign objects and ensure proper packaging.

Indian meal moths are very common and can often be found in kitchen pantries inside flour and cereal. To prevent contamination, caregivers should inspect products before use and practice safe handling with powdered formula, including washing hands, closing containers tightly after each use, and storing products in a dry, cool, clean place.

Helen Williamson can relate to Taylor's shocking discovery as she too found a disgusting surprise inside her baby's bottle when using Nutramigen formula:

"I went to burp her like normal. I happened to glance over at the bottle and saw, you know, waves. I pick up the bottle and hold it in the light and I see worms like inching up. Pick up the can and looked in it and saw pieces of the formula moving inside the can. So I was like oh my gosh," Helen told KSHB. "I just feel like they're not doing something right because there wouldn't be . . . maggots crawling around in my baby's bottle."

Mead Johnson also issued a statement saying that as they understand the situation, the can of formula was opened the day before it was used to make the child's bottle. "It is important to note that the introduction of foreign matter into any Mead Johnson product during the manufacturing and packaging process is extremely unlikely given our numerous stringent safeguards and quality control procedures."

As Mead Johnson completes a full investigation, parents who bottle-feed their babies, no matter the brand, should ensure their containers are completely sealed before storing after each use.

"It happened to me and now I don't want it to happen to anyone else," Taylor said. "I don't want anyone else's baby to consume worms. That's really gross."

Latest Family
All the Latest From Ryan Reynolds