Some designers love curve-hugging styles and sexy little cutouts, but Derek Lam's got something different in mind. His collections are meant to be lived in, often including loose-fitting pieces like culottes and long dresses, and for Fall '16 we saw much of the same — with a little twist.
Classic staples like trench coats, midlength skirts, and structured sets still made their way down the runway, but details such as fur trim and sparkles added some spice. Pops of color were also thrown into the mix, balancing out Fall's typical brown and gray hues and showing us that bright pinks also deserve a place in your Fall wardrobe. Read on for a bit more on the big trends we saw, then scroll through to see the Derek Lam items you'll constantly reach for later this year.
- Trends: Structured pants and top layers, furry details, puff sleeves, mock necks, midlength skirts, and sparkly mesh material.
- Colors: Gray, white, black, brown, pink, navy, and green.
- Shoes: Round-toe boots and booties with thin buckle details by the ankle, pointed-toe booties, and thick-soled slip-ons.
- Details You Might Have Missed: The toggle buttons on the coats and a variety of belt styles, from skinny to wide.
- Key Prints: A scribble-like design, crisscross, and plaid.
- Who Would Wear It: Women who are looking to find the perfect balance between "polished professional" and "fashion girl."