Prabal Gurung's Fall Lineup Is 1 Colorful Masterpiece After Another
Prabal Gurung is a master at mixing materials. He pulls off the technique in such a way that every season, his runway is merely an art class in which each look scores an A+. For Fall 2016, the designer showed off his craft more than ever, melding voluminous furry coats and stoles with floaty chiffon skirts and bringing structure to sexy, slitted dresses with tall leather boots. Gurung maintained key elements throughout, including an ethereal feather motif and a bell-shaped silhouette that extended from dress sleeves down to button-adorned flared trousers.
Perhaps the most standout detail is Prabal's signature asymmetrical cutout. While at first glance the feature may appear slightly off-kilter, slashing a silk midi at the thigh or cutting across the bodice of a dress, it provides subtle sex appeal to these pieces, and most importantly, inimitable movement. Read on to admire the new collection in full, from the bold saturated color scheme to the wide range of fabrics and intricate embroideries on sweaters. And don't miss the final gown: a cream masterpiece with cold shoulders and gorgeous shimmer that belongs nowhere more the red carpet.
- Trends: Mismatched materials and breezy bell shapes.
- Colors: Powder blue, milky white, plum, sand, and a firey red.
- Key Look: The final gown — a cold shoulder, beaded number that trailed the floor and offered a sexy touch with a front slit.
- Who Would Wear It: Fashion-forward stars like Kate Bosworth and Diane Kruger would rock the floaty bell-sleeved tops and trouser sets just as well as the thigh-slit dresses, and Michelle Obama could easily slip into the black strapless gown or demure velvet dress.
- What We Want Right Now: The lavender statement coat to help us fight the cool winds in style.
- Celebs in the Front Row: Olivia Palermo, Diane Kruger, Olivia Culpo, Lauren Cohan, Ashley Madekwe, and Jaime King.
- Key Prints: A floaty feather motif, oftentimes showing up in an ornate gold.