Stella McCartney Designed Coats For the Coolest Girl on the Block
It's a cold Saturday morning in the Fall and you simply must get out of bed. So you stay in your slip, cover with your slouchiest sweater and a puffer, and slide into your sneakers — pumps if you're feeling fancy. Accessorize with one statement earring. Not out of laziness, but to appear effortless. You emerge the coolest girl on the street . . . you're wearing Stella McCartney.
For Fall '16, the designer didn't surprise with her usual shapely, avant-garde dresses but with outerwear. She went the wearable route, offering women exactly what they want, but more importantly need in their closets: silk numbers featured lace panels in unexpected places and pleating that defined movement, all offered in inimitable jewel tones. Denim was reworked with a tie-dye effect and a sporty nature — for the groovy tomboy.
While it was the outerwear that really stood out (it wasn't easy to find an elegant cocoon coat or ski vest until these velvet versions came along), what the Stella girl wears underneath still counts. She gave up the edgy cat print from pre-Fall for a soft swan graphic that floated down high-neck blouses and pajama pants. And girlie ruffles proved she has a playful side too. Maybe she just woke up, but she's never appeared so fresh and ready for the day ahead.
- Trends: Sporty-meets-feminine, sexy gets restructured.
- Colors: Metallic copper, silver, true denim blue, and speckled gray. Bright red, peach, and turquoise make a random appearance.
- Bags: Leather and velvet pouches folded at the side or square shoppers with metal handles.
- Don't Miss: The curved statement earrings and half-chokers, often embellished with chunky stones or round beads.
- Who Would Wear It: We'll find friend of Stella Kate Hudson wearing one of the dresses, and an off-duty supermodel like Doutzen Kroes, who sat front row, will take on the denim.
- Key Look: A peach pleated midi layered with a charcoal sweater and cropped puff bomber.