Chocolate cake cravings are no joke. But neither is committing to your healthy diet. For a cooler afternoon when you want to bake something sweet, try out this low-fat recipe that will satisfy your sweet tooth — without any of the guilt!
This cake calls in some unexpected friends: applesauce and prunes. Combining these two fruit purees helps keep the cake feeling light, rich, and moist. And if you're anything like me, the best part of the cake is always the icing. Instead of reaching for the store-bought stuff with tons of preservatives and unnecessary amounts of sugar, I created an easy icing recipe using just two ingredients.
Related: Healthy Cake Recipes
- For cake:
- 1 cup cake flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
- 1/2 cup 2 percent low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon instant decaffeinated coffee
- 2 (2 1/2-ounce) jars prune baby food
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 egg whites
- For icing:
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1/2 cup 0 percent Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray one round cake pan with nonstick cooking spray and sprinkle with flour.
- Sift together all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix applesauce, milk, vanilla, coffee, prunes, chocolate, almond extract, and egg whites. Fold into the dry ingredients.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, you can create the icing. After melting 2 ounces of chocolate chips, fold them into the 1/2 cup of 0 percent Greek yogurt. Refrigerate until you're ready to ice your cake for the best consistency.
- Allow cake to cool before icing and slicing. It's best to slice and serve when it's still warm!
Nutritional information (per serving): calories 260, saturated fat 1.8 g
- Desserts, Cake
- 8 servings
- Calories per serving