If you suffer from anxiety or depression, feel fatigued, or often experience aches and pains, adding essential oils can complement your wellness regimen to improve your symptoms. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, "the therapeutic use of essential oils (also known as volatile oils) from plants (flowers, herbs, or trees)" can be used "for the improvement of physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being."
The center also noted that essential oils and aromatherapy are used for cancer treatment, "primarily as supportive care for general well-being," and can be used as a complement to wellness treatments like massage and acupuncture, "as well as with standard treatments for symptom management."
In studies conducted with cancer patients, different oils were used (in conjunction with treatments like massage) to see what outcomes different oils could have on health and wellness. Here are some of their findings:
- Lavender: improved sleep, reduced depression, and reduced blood pressure
- Chamomile: reduced anxiety (physical and psychological symptoms) and improved quality of life
- Sweet Orange: reduced nausea
We wanted to know about even more oils and their efficacy beyond cancer, so we looked at a ton of studies to see how some other oils can be beneficial through aromatherapy.
- Peppermint: this oil has "anti-inflammatory, analgesic, anti-infectious, antimicrobial, antiseptic, and antispasmodic, astringent properties," has been shown to improve exercise performance, and can aid digestion and alleviate IBS
- Lemon and Citrus: reduce morning sickness and reduce anxiety during labor
- Bergamot: improves mood
- Rosemary: can treat dementia and Alzheimer's, improves cognitive function, and can manage pain
- Geranium: reduces fatigue, anxiety, and stress
- Eucalyptus: can reduce aches and pains, and has anti-inflamatory, antibacterial properties
- Neroli oil: reduces blood pressure and anxiety
No matter what oil you end up choosing for whatever reason, aromatherapy is an excellent form of self-care, and makes your home or office space smell fantastic.