For many of the same reasons we love Tabata workouts, interval training is a great way to push your body. Not only is it an ideal technique for runners trying to stick to their time goals and build up their stamina, but interval training also aids in weight loss.
If you've had difficulty letting go of that pesky muffin top, an interval workout may be your ticket to success. Alternating between periods of pushing your body to the max with rest periods has been proven to help you lose belly fat. Interval training also revs up your metabolism! In a study from the journal Cell Metabolism, researchers found that periods of intense cardio can fire up certain genes that initiate the fat-burning process and after-burn effect, which translates to more calories burned even after the workout is over. It doesn't get better than that!
If you're not sure where to start, here are some workouts to get you inspired interval-style:
- 30-minute pyramid intervals
- 30-minute Barry's Bootcamp running workout
- 35-minute anywhere walk-run playlist
- 45-minute walk-run-sprint workout
- 45-minute elliptical interval workout
- 45-minute fat-burning treadmill workout
- 60-minute 300-calorie-burning walking-jogging workout