Who cares about swirly patterns and fancy piping tricks? These days it's all about the naked cake — in other words, keeping the cake layer(s) bare, while only icing the top(s). It's so easy! Just plop the frosting onto the top of the cake and use a spatula to spread it evenly. No crumb layer, no Pinterest fails, just beautiful, rustic presentation.
In terms of the actual pumpkin cake recipe, it's full of the spiced flavor, moist yet fluffy, and bright pumpkin orange — and the icing is heavy on the cream cheese, making it a tart, rich companion to the cake.
If you want to make more than 1 layer, simply double or triple the recipe.
- For cake:
1/2 cup salted butter, melted and cooled, plus more for pan
1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon dried ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Pinch of ground allspice
Pinch of ground cardamom
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup pumpkin puree, fresh or canned
- For cream cheese frosting:
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
8 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cinnamon sticks, for garnish
- To make cake: Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Prep a cake pan by greasing a 10-inch square pan or 9-inch round pan with butter and dusting with flour. Cut out a piece of parchment paper to cover the bottom of the pan.
- In a medium-sized bowl, sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices. Set aside.
- Using a whisk or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together melted butter, sugar, and eggs until well combined and sugar is dissolved. Slowly mix the flour mixture into the wet ingredients, until well combined. Gently stir in pumpkin puree, being careful not to overstir.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan, and bake for 38 to 40 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Turn cake out onto cooling rack to cool completely.
- To make icing: Using a mixer, beat butter and cream cheese together until smooth. On a slow speed, incorporate sifted powdered sugar until smooth. Beat in vanilla extract.
- To assemble: Place cake on a plate or cardboard cake circle. Transfer icing to the top of the cake and carefully spread it evenly. Garnish with cinnamon sticks.
- Desserts, Cake
- 12 servings
Image Source: POPSUGAR Photography / Anna Monette Roberts
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.