We can't get enough of Haylie Duff's recipes! To gear up for the second season of her Cooking Channel show, Real Girl's Kitchen, which premieres Saturday, April 25, at 1 p.m. EDT, Haylie is sharing her recipe for strawberry shortcake in a mason jar. But don't worry — there's no baking involved. Haylie explains, "This strawberry shortcake recipe is a great way for someone learning to bake to create something pretty and delicious with no baking and no measurements at all! The presentation of the strawberry shortcakes in the mason jars is my favorite part of the recipe. It's perfect for creating a beautiful backyard-brunch atmosphere for the Spring!" We're thinking this dessert would go over well for Easter, bridal showers, and even Fourth of July (garnished with a few blueberries instead of the mint).
- 2 pounds strawberries, destemmed and thinly sliced
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 carton heavy whipping cream
- Zest of 1 lime
- Store-bought angel food cake
- Fresh mint, chopped, for garnish
- 4 (16-ounce) mason jars
- Day 1: Mix strawberries, lemon juice, and 1 cup sugar in a bowl. Let the bowl sit in the refrigerator.
- Day 2: In a cold metal bowl, slowly mix the cream, a cup of sugar, and lime zest using a hand mixer for about 7 minutes. The mixture will first turn into a bowl of tiny bubbles and then slowly turn into a thick, zesty whipped cream.
- Trace a mason jar with a knife to cut a round piece of angel food cake. Press the cake into the bottom of the jar. Layer the strawberries on top. Add whipped cream. Garnish with mint chiffonade.
- Desserts, Cake
- North American
- 4 servings