During the Fall season, football fans from the South are often eating Frito pie on game day. The name is actually a misnomer as Frito pie isn't a pie at all, but rather a bowl of Fritos chips, generously topped with chili and a sprinkle of shredded cheddar cheese. However, we developed an actual Frito pie, with a crumbled Fritos crust. Watch the video to see it for yourself.
Opt for low-sodium or sodium-free chili, as the Fritos and cheese are extremely salty and will take care of the seasoning. Mini foil pie dishes are available at many grocery stores and are a great option if you are tailgating. If you are at home and serving only a few people, opt for ceramic or glass pie dishes.
- 5 cups Fritos Corn Chips
- 2 cups canned or homemade chili
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. In a food processor, process 5 cups Fritos until crumbly. The mixture should resemble wet sand.
- Divide Fritos between two mini pie dishes. Spread and firmly press the Fritos crumbs across the bottom and sides of each dish.
- Bake in the oven for about 7 minutes, or until fragrant and toasted. Remove pie dishes from oven, and allow to cool slightly.
- Ladle 1 cup chili into each pie dish. Top each dish with about 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese.
- Return pies to oven. Increase oven temperature to 500ºF, or broil setting. Allow cheese to melt and brown slightly. Keep an eye on the pies, as this will occur very quickly. Remove pies from the oven, and garnish with a pinch of green onions.
- Main Dishes, Beef
- North American
- Makes 2 mini pies
- Cook Time
- 20 minutes