- 3 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup milk
12 eggs, divided
1/3 cup butter, melted, plus more for greasing the pans
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
4 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
30 strips smoked bacon
30 links breakfast sausage
1/2 bunch fresh sage, chopped
2 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
4 cups maple syrup, plus more for serving
2 pounds sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- For the pancakes: Mix together the buttermilk, milk, three eggs, and melted butter in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together three cups flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and a large pinch of salt. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet mixture until incorporated.
- In a large buttered skillet, ladle one cup of batter at a time. Brown each side, flipping when browned and beginning to bubble. Remove the pancake, and repeat until all of the batter is cooked. Square off the edges of each pancake.
- For the bacon: Preheat oven to 375°F. Fit a cooling rack into a half-sheet pan. Arrange the bacon on top of the cooling rack and bake until crispy, 15 to 20 minutes. Reserve one-half cup of the rendered bacon fat.
- For the sausage: Line a half-sheet pan with sausage links, and bake in the oven until cooked through.
- Roughly chop the sausage, and add it to a food processor with the sage. Pulse until finely chopped.
- For the eggs: In a large bowl, whisk nine eggs with a large punch of salt until smooth, and cook in a large buttered skillet, stirring frequently, over medium heat until fluffy and cooked through.
- Transfer to a blender, add one-half cup cream, and purée until smooth.
- For the maple béchamel: And the reserved bacon fat to a large sauce pot set over medium heat. Once melted, whisk in flour. Cook for three to four minutes, whisking frequently to get rid of the raw flour flavor. Add two cups cream, the maple syrup, and a large pinch of salt, and cook over low heat, stirring until thickened and the consistency of gravy.
- To assemble the lasagna: Butter a casserole dish, and completely line the bottom with a single layer of pancakes. Lightly spread the béchamel over the pancakes until covered. Arrange the chopped sausage on top of the pancakes, spreading evenly. Spoon one-half of the egg mixture over the sausage, and spread until evenly distributed. Add another layer of the béchamel, and then add a layer of shredded cheese. Add another layer of pancakes, then béchamel, then bacon strips, béchamel again, then the rest of the eggs, and finish with a liberal covering of cheese.
- Bake in a 375°F oven until the cheese has melted on top and begun to get crispy. Let cool, then slice into portions.
- Reheat each portion before serving, and serve with maple syrup.
- Breakfast/Brunch, Casseroles
- North American
- Serves 12